Expert Steve Smart talks about four of the top reasons to use email marketing and a few points on getting started.
Email marketing should be in your tool belt.
Many tools are available to help you build your sales funnel. Email marketing is a great way to help you grow your business. If you're not already using email marketing you'll find a few reasons here to get started.
Check Out These Four Great Reasons to Use Email Marketing
1. Email Marketing is Powerful
Tremendous reach can be achieved with email. Because nearly everyone has access to it, you have the potential to reach an audience of immense size. The proliferation of smart phones has only expanded the value of email marketing. The percentage of people reading mail on their phone has been increasing steadily. Currently it's at around 40% and climbing.
Email marketing is also powerful because it tells your story to a willing audience. Of course, that's assuming you use legitimate list-building methods. When people opt in, they're telling you they want to hear from you. Building a list in a professional manner sets you up to succeed.
Interactivity is a powerful aspect that makes email marketing so desirable. Recipients choose whether to open, where to click and how to complete your occasional surveys. An engaged audience builds warm leads.
2. Email Marketing Tools Are Robust
Using an email service provider gives you great capabilities. Deliverability is among the best features. There's no point in having a big mailing list if your audience is not being reached. An email service provider and proper list building practices are your one-two punch.
Reports give you valuable, detailed information about the interests of your recipients. The information you gain enables you to segment your audience, so you can deliver more relevant content.
Email surveys enable you to find out more about your customers' interests. That in turn helps you craft better messages, improve your content and possibly discover opportunities for new products and services.
Email is made attractive through color and images. But don't make the mistake of thinking it's all about being pretty. Top quality content offering value wins the day.
3. Email Marketing is Effective
You don't have a crystal ball to know exactly when people are ready to buy. And you know enough not to harass them with regular unwanted calls. Email marketing enables you to reach out regularly to offer value and maintain top-of-mind awareness. They'll think of you when they're ready to make a purchase.
4. Email Marketing is Cost Friendly
The cost of using an email service provider is very low. Content development, however, can be a bigger piece of the puzzle if your business offers services rather than goods. The good news is there are ways to introduce cost efficiencies into the process.
- If your content is based on articles, for example, find ways to reduce the costs related to the development of those pieces. Have a whole series written at one time. Whenever possible, maximize the use of existing content. That content can also be the basis for video scripts.
Five Steps to Getting Started
Like anything else, using email for marketing purposes requires some effort and advance planning. Here are five things you need to do to get started.
- Use Best Practices to build your list. One thing you DON’T want to do is to buy a list. What you DO want is to provide value and give people incentive to sign up.
- Choose an ESP (email service provider) you can depend on. Pricing is not your only consideration. Examine their features and find out about their quality of support.
- Plan your content. Don't wait until the last minute every month. Reduce your stress and increase your effectiveness by creating an editorial calendar.
- Measure your results. Make a plan to measure the results of your campaigns for continual improvement. You’ll be glad you did.
- Get the support you need. I have a saying: Trying to do everything yourself is a bad idea. A knowledgeable employee or an outsourced marketing professional will be greatly useful.
Need help with your marketing efforts? Contact Steve Smart – your outsourced marketing department 636-699-8772.